Tuesday, December 4, 2012

So You Want to Learn to Read the Tarot.......(Part One) Your First Deck


I was always a little afraid of the Tarot.  It seems silly now in retrospect to be intimidated by a deck of cards, but I was.  So when I finally got brave enough to begin this journey, I started off slow, collecting decks without much thought or knowledge behind why I chose each individual deck.  I bought what I liked, mostly based on my reaction to the aesthetics of the cards.  Five years later, I now possess dozens of decks.....many of which are beautiful to look at but not really good to read with.  I hate to say this, but I was completely closed-minded when it came to traditional decks.  I wanted nothing to do with the traditional decks like the Rider Waite Tarot, which seemed incredibly boring and blah to me.  When the time came to actually start reading, I went with a small deck from a cheap kit for the simple fact that I found it easier to manipulate the smaller cards in my hands.  Unfortunately the cards did nothing to help me learn the tarot.

You see, while it may be obvious to some, it wasn't obvious to me at the time that the pictures contained on each card actually meant something, and that by using a more traditional deck, I'd be able to pick up the meaning of each card better than if I just picked a deck because it was beautiful or "cute."  Even if you aren't drawn to traditional decks, I highly encourage those wanting to begin reading to start off with a good standard deck.  Traditional decks can be found in all sizes (if you have small hands like me).

A bit of warning though, traditional decks do tend to be loaded heavily with Christian symbolism and imagery.  If this isn't your thing, I'd still argue that starting with this type of deck is still going to be your best bet--not only will it aide you in the learning process, you'll find that a lot of your clients will identify with this imagery, and can get them past the "fear" of seeking out your advice.

Finally, if you want a deck, go buy one.  It's not bad luck to buy your own deck.....if you wait to be gifted one, you may be waiting forever.  There's no time like the present to start learning to read the cards!



No comments:

Post a Comment