Saturday, May 12, 2012

10 Things to Make with Your Kid That Won't Look Like Crap: Mother's/Father's/Grandparent's Day Crafts for the Craft Challenged

Okay, so maybe it is the thought that counts....especially when it comes to kids and crafts.  I personally love seeing the things that my son creates.  But when we start moving from the things that we stick on the fridge to the things we wrap up and give, I want more.  I want a craft that will last for years....something the recipient will love and use, or at the very least keep for years.  So when macaroni necklaces and egg carton jewelry boxes just won't cut it, here are 10 adult assisted kid crafts family will love and cherish for years:


1) Photo Books
I am wretched at scrap booking....most of what I create ends up looking like the cat made it.  Fortunately that all changed with companies like Shuttefly and SnapfishI created my son's baby book this way (my handwriting is wretched as well).  I've also found this is a great way to create "handmade" family gifts from kids.  Currently my six year old is writing a "book."  He dictates stories to me, which I type up.  He then draws pictures to accompany the stories and I photograph him telling me the stories or drawing. Not only do the grandparents get a mini photo album of him, they get a little time capsule of sorts in his stories and drawings.

Exclusive artwork from the man child's latest book.


2) Painted picture frames.
This time of year, millions of mothers are going to find themselves the recipient of picture frames made of all kinds of materials....Popsicle sticks, round plastic lids, construction paper.....pretty much anything but real picture frames.  I know it's crazy but cheap, plain picture frames abound and can be found everywhere from IKEA to your local dollar store.  I found these at IKEA and had my son paint them:
The man child goes for coverage above all else....
I took one to Iraq with me and gave him the second with the same picture in it of the two of us.

3) Iron On Tote Bags
From the mistress of perfection comes an idea that is both practical, inexpensive, and will immortalize a few of those million drawings papering the fridge...Iron On Tote Bag

4) Hand Prints
What better way to remember just how little your little ones were than with hand prints.  There are numerous ways to use hand prints in pretty, useful crafts.  Two cute, useful gifts:  Hand Print Mug& Hand Print Apron

5Casts
With a little help from Mom or Dad, kids can make this cool and useful paperweight/catch all perfect for that special someone's desk:  Casts

6) Shrinky Dink Pendants
Silly name, but lots of fun, Shrinky Dinks provide another cool way to use a child's art work.  Pictures can be shrunk down into pendants, rings or charms for an easy jewelry project that won't attract the bugs:  Shrinky Dink Pendants

7) Magnets
Always useful and appropriate for both male and female relatives, kids can create magnets and recycle all at the same time:  Magnets

8) Coasters
This craft requires a little more help from mom or dad, but produces great results.  Use kid's drawings in place of napkins for a personal touch:  Coasters

9) Bath Fizzies
Perfect for mom, grandma or aunts, these bath fizzies from Martha Stewart are colorful and fun.  Have kids help combining ingredients and decorating containers for the special ladies in their life:  Bath Fizzies

10)  Cookie Mix in a Jar
And finally......what could be easier and more appreciated than food?  Cookie Mix in a Jar

No comments:

Post a Comment