Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shadow and Light Tarot--A Review


In a world full of Tarot decks that look like a cross between Harry Potter fan fiction and LARPing fantasy, The Light and Shadow Tarot is a breath of fresh air.  It's black and white, block cut style images are beautiful and provide the intuiative reader with lots to work with in terms of imagery and symbolism.  The cards are on the larger side and a little bit thinner than I'd like, making it a little more difficult to shuffle and requiring a larger space for spreads (so those with small hands, beware).  However, if you're just looking to add to your collection, this is a unique deck that any Tarot addict would enjoy owning.  That said, I believe this will sit in with my collection and not my reading cards......I am at heart an old woman and stuck in my ways.  While this deck does a good job of remaining true to the meanings (as I understand them) of each card through its extensive imagery, I feel like the change in the minor arcana from Knights and Pages to Prince and Princesses is slightly frustrating.  Perhaps it's a bit limiting of me to expect all decks to keep to the same general format, but I am stuck in my ways and the change makes reading quickly and easily very difficult.  Anyone else feel the same way, or am I being a crotchety old Tarot snob?

No comments:

Post a Comment